What we eat plays a significant role in our health – including our sex lives.
Well, the good thing is, there are plenty of other foods that can supercharge your libido, and they aren’t just limited to the usual suspects. Some of them may even surprise you after all this time.
Nevertheless, it is essential to avoid eating foods laden with simple sugars and carbohydrates, and saturated fat that robs you of your energy if you wish to kick your sex drive up a notch.
Certain habits about food consumption can affect multiple facets of a person’s life. Specific eating habits may influence sex because they contribute to medical conditions that affect blood flow.
On the other hand, good blood circulation is imperative if you want to get in the mood and get ready for some action. Good cardiovascular health is a result of good blood circulation when the blood vessels are able to expand to allow for better blood flow, especially in the case of obtaining and keeping an erection hard enough for satisfying sex. In addition, good cardiovascular condition allows you to have the stamina to go longer and harder.
Here are some foods that might surprise you for their libido-boosting potential.
- Fish. Magnesium-rich fish, particularly fatty fish, is abundantly nutritious and beneficial for your sex drive. Salmon, halibut, mackerel, and tuna are excellent choices because their high magnesium content may increase testosterone levels. For instance, 200 grams of salmon contains over 53 mg of magnesium. Trying pairing roast or grilled fish with other foods like cauliflower, chili, or watermelon to add a kick to your circulation and mood due to its capsaicin and folate content, both of which are crucial elements of good sexual health.
- Beans, legumes, and pulses. Beans, chickpeas or garbanzos, and other legumes and pulses are not just a heart-healthy way to supplement your protein and vitamins A and C, but they are also a heart-friendly way of increasing your sex drive because of their phytoestrogen content. Phytoestrogen helps increase sensations and responses to sexual stimuli. Mix and match your beans, legumes, and pulses with a serving of fatty fish for maximum effect.
- Beef. Beef is vastly underrated for its beneficial effects on your sex drive. Beef, after all, is rich in saturated fat, which is a foundational element of testosterone. Beef is also rich in zinc, which helps increase your testosterone levels and nitric oxide production. The same can be said for vitamin B6 and iron, both indispensable for optimal blood flow and improved energy levels.
- Pumpkin seeds. Foods rich in arginine help boost your sex drive by increasing vasodilation and circulation – which is literally what your garden variety erectile dysfunction pill does. Pumpkin seeds are one of these foods. They are also loaded with zinc, which supports T-levels, allowing you to enjoy increased drive, stamina, and endurance between the sheets.
- Blueberries. Blueberries aren’t just packed with immunity-supporting antioxidants, but it also boosts blood flow. Feel free to snack on them by adding them to ice cream, adding them to your cereal or porridge, or mix them with honey for a healthy, energy-boosting snack. Vanilla ice cream blends perfectly with blueberries since the vanilla content adds a dopamine boost that might be perfect to set the mood.
- Pomegranates. A small study in Scotland showed that drinking a glass of pomegranate juice daily for a couple of weeks led to a dramatic boost in testosterone levels for men and women. Pomegranates are also packed with antioxidants for better circulation.
- Watermelon. Vitamin B5 is a crucial nutrient that helps us manage stress. While sex is undoubtedly a natural stress reliever, feeling stressed can never be suitable for your sexual performance. Watermelons are rich in essential B vitamins that boost immunity, energy, and stamina, apart from helping widen blood vessels.
- Honey. Honey contains boron, which is thought to regulate the production of hormones, including testosterone.
- Cauliflowers. On the other hand, cauliflower is essential for hormonal balance, particularly in regulating the presence of estrogen through the cruciferous vegetable’s indole 3-carbinol content.
- Cantaloupes. Cantaloupes are among the foods that are rich in amino acids, particularly L-citrulline and L-arginine. These amino acids are essential for nitric oxide production, which is essentially responsible for the arousal response in men. Nitric oxide drives blood flow to the reproductive system, leading to an erection. Other amino-rich foods in the same vein as cantaloupes include walnuts.
- Cloves. This superfood might just be lying around in your spice cabinet. But don’t underestimate it: it’s a versatile spice that can work in many food and beverage preparations. Cloves have been historically used for millennia as a treatment for sexual dysfunction. Scientists found that rats increased their sexual activity after consuming a clove extract in a study on animals.
- Eggs. Eggs might not be the sexiest foods around, nor is it an exotic one, but they are rich in amino acids and protein, all of which are essential for your sex drive and which have already been used to treat ED symptoms. An excellent vegan substitute for eggs is quinoa for individuals with particular dietary requirements.
Being mindful of your eating habits is essential to maintaining optimal overall health. And sometimes, all it takes is switching your eating habits around a bit and tailoring your diet for better sexual health. These 12 foods are a great start.